Pages

Tuesday 23 July 2013

LOVE AND MEMORIES

Most literature has love as a thread woven through the story,  This strong emotion comes in many forms and here I have tried to capture the love between an ageing father and his daughter.
I would welcome your comments if this piece moves you to say something.


The phone rings and she hurries to answer it. “Hello?”
“Hi darl’, Dad here.”
“Hi Dad, How’s things?”
“Not too good honey.  I’ve got a small problem. Well, a big one, really.”
“What’s the matter?”
“I’m in town and I seem to have lost my car.”
“Has it been stolen? Or have you mislaid it?”
“I don’t know.”
“Why did you go to town Dad? The supermarket’s just down the road from you.”
“The dog needed food and I thought the car could use a run.”
“Jeeez Dad!”
“I felt like driving.”
“Sorry.  Of course you felt like driving.  Now let me think.  Did you park on the street or in a building?”
“I can’t remember.”
“Close your eyes and think.  What did you see when you stopped the car?”
“I saw traffic lights, on red.”
“Right.  Where are you now?”
“At the Police Station.”
“Can you stay there until I arrive?” Panic has put a crack in her voice.
“I’ll ask.  Don’t go away. …  “ 
In the silence her heart beat pounds in her head. She tries to breathe deeply, to relax. Will he forget he’s talking to her?   At last she hears footsteps and his voice.
“Are you still there Sue?”
“Yes Dad I’m here.”
“I can sit on a chair and have a cup of tea till you arrive.  Sue, my car’s gone and I can’t get home.”
“I know that Dad.  I’ll be about 15 minutes.  Do you have your watch on?”
“No, it’s missing.  I think someone’s stolen it. Why do people keep stealing my stuff?”
“It’ll be somewhere Dad.  I’ll find it once we find your car.”
“Thanks darl’. Don’t be long.  Did I tell you I’ve lost my car?”
Yes Dad.  Please don’t worry.  I’ll be there as soon as I can.
“And I can’t find my damn watch. I think the dog’s gone missing too. “
“I’m minding the dog and I’ll find your watch Dad.  Just stay there.   Promise me.”
“I promise Sue.  Did I ever tell you you’re a good girl?”
“Often Dad and I love you too.  Bye.”

No comments:

Post a Comment